DDS-Based PLL

Started by Kevin Neilson April 14, 2004
"Kevin Neilson" <kevin_neilson@removethiscomcast.net> wrote in message
news:eHVfc.145675$gA5.1776343@attbi_s03...
> The applications I was thinking of mostly is sampling clocks for ADCs or > DACs, so having low jitter is important and in that case using the MSB of
> DDS wouldn't suffice. I had one application in which I had to generate a > DAC clock that wasn't really large but was a really strange multiple of an > input clock (the ratio was close to 80000/78000, irreducable) and PLLs > couldn't handle that ratio and even if they could the comparison frequency > would be really low and the loop filter cutoff would have had to be really > small. > > I like the offset idea. Of course that means you need an accurate > high-frequency source with which to mix; I guess that would be generated > with a PLL. > -Kevin
The jitter associated with *most* digital-based clocking techniques is tough to deal with for ADC and DAC systems without the PLL and VCO. What *can* be done to get the irreducably low frequency to not cripple your system is to not go so low.... Fractional-N synthesizers can give superb spectral results with non-integer divides. In some cases, these Fractional-N devices which "dither" the divider before the phase comparator can produce close-in harmonics that aren't reasonable to filter. With arbitrary numerator and denominator values (producing an odd modulus in the accumulator) these close-in sidebands can be pushed out to well beyond the PLL's loop filter cutoff. With sigma-delta techniques in some of the commercially available Fractional-N synthesizers, some problem sidebands can be squashed. Neat stuff, all of it. - John_H
Peter Alfke wrote:
> Fine frequency resolution with reasonably low jitter. > > I just finished and tested an FPGA design using a 30-bit DDS phase > accumulator that is conservatively clocked at 80 MHz and, with the help of a > DCM in Frequency Synthesis mode and a binary divider chain, generates any > frequency from 1 Hz to 80 MHz with 1 Hz granularity. > The output period jitter is <300 picoseconds peak-to-peak. > There is a roadmap to increase the output frequency to max 5 GHz at > substantially reduced jitter.
Seems there's a lot packed into a few sentences here - when/where can we see more info ? -jg