ModelSim is ungraceful with my stupidity...

Started by Gabor Szakacs October 21, 2004
O.K.  I did something stupid, but as a newbie to
both Verilog and Modelsim I expected a nice error
message instead of no indication and no response
while I watched all of my virtual memory get gobbled
up.  Then Modelsim closed (was killed by Windows).

All because of:

always PLX_LCLK0 <= #8 !PLX_LCLK0 ;

(Note the incorrect usage of a blocking assign).

Now the design was quite large so I've been beating
myself about the head for weeks thinking there was
too much logic to fit in my measly 2G of virtual
memory, while the simulator was sitting at line
404 of the testbench (above) happily scheduling the
next edge of PLX_LCLK0!

Bottom line is:  don't do that.

(but why couldn't Modelsim just tell me I'm stupid instead
of crashing...)
You might try the Aldec tools.  They give you much better
error messages, as well as a considerably more friendly user
interface.

Gabor Szakacs wrote:

> O.K. I did something stupid, but as a newbie to > both Verilog and Modelsim I expected a nice error > message instead of no indication and no response > while I watched all of my virtual memory get gobbled > up. Then Modelsim closed (was killed by Windows). > > A
-- --Ray Andraka, P.E. President, the Andraka Consulting Group, Inc. 401/884-7930 Fax 401/884-7950 email ray@andraka.com http://www.andraka.com "They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin, 1759
Just out of interest, what error message do you get from Aldec on this code?

Hans.
www.ht-lab.com