Suggestion for Xilinx parallel port cable replacement.

Started by T Lee November 16, 2004
How about creating a ethernet to jtag cable replacement?

In that case, you only need to write a user mode program to
tunnel (forward) info from network <-> JTAG.

It will make the xmd, xst, etc on both windows and Unix
platform much easier to develop, maintain and use.

TCP/UDP Socket programming is so much easier to develop nad
debug for all the platform.

Right now, I have to build xilinx_pp drivers for different
version of linux kernels.

Does anyone have a patch for xilinx_pp driver for 2.6 kernel
(Redhat FC 3 release)?

-Tony
Or use Chameleon POD on www.amontec.com
tony.p.lee@gmail.com (T Lee) writes:

> How about creating a ethernet to jtag cable replacement?
I've made my own Ethernet based programmer. Works on virtually any OS and does not require a device driver. Also works with Xilinx Impact and Altera Quartus. Petter -- A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? A: Top-posting. Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?
Petter Gustad wrote:
> tony.p.lee@gmail.com (T Lee) writes: > > >>How about creating a ethernet to jtag cable replacement? > > > I've made my own Ethernet based programmer. Works on virtually any OS > and does not require a device driver. Also works with Xilinx Impact > and Altera Quartus. > > Petter
Hi Petter, Could you please tell me how works the interface with Impact and Quartus? Are there any application notes explaining the how-to-do ?
Laurent Gauch <laurent.gauch@DELETEALLCAPSamontec.com> wrote in message news:<419B2E05.2080205@DELETEALLCAPSamontec.com>...
> Petter Gustad wrote: > > tony.p.lee@gmail.com (T Lee) writes: > > > > > >>How about creating a ethernet to jtag cable replacement? > > > > > > I've made my own Ethernet based programmer. Works on virtually any OS > > and does not require a device driver. Also works with Xilinx Impact > > and Altera Quartus. > > > > Petter > > Hi Petter, > > Could you please tell me how works the interface with Impact and Quartus? > > Are there any application notes explaining the how-to-do ?
Yes, Petter, I would love to know how to do this too. BTW, does it work with xmd? -Tony
"Amontec, Larry" <laurent.gauch@amon-tec.com> wrote in message news:<419A7079.8090702@amon-tec.com>...
> T Lee wrote: > > How about creating a ethernet to jtag cable replacement? > > > > In that case, you only need to write a user mode program to > > tunnel (forward) info from network <-> JTAG. > > > > It will make the xmd, xst, etc on both windows and Unix > > platform much easier to develop, maintain and use. > > > > TCP/UDP Socket programming is so much easier to develop nad > > debug for all the platform. > > > > Right now, I have to build xilinx_pp drivers for different > > version of linux kernels. > > > > Does anyone have a patch for xilinx_pp driver for 2.6 kernel > > (Redhat FC 3 release)? > > > > > > -Tony > > Or use Chameleon POD on www.amontec.com
I check the website. I only find the replacment for parallel port cable. The HW for ethernet cable is not hard. The more difficult part to get the software (xmd, impact) working with the new cable. -Tony
Laurent Gauch <laurent.gauch@DELETEALLCAPSamontec.com> writes:

> Could you please tell me how works the interface with Impact and > Quartus?
Through SVF. Petter -- A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? A: Top-posting. Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?
A: Jeopardy.
Q: What is my favorite quiz show?

--
Greg
readgc.invalid@hotmail.com.invalid

- --
Petter Gustad <newsmailcomp6@gustad.com> wrote:
: tony.p.lee@gmail.com (T Lee) writes:

: > How about creating a ethernet to jtag cable replacement?

: I've made my own Ethernet based programmer. Works on virtually any OS
: and does not require a device driver. Also works with Xilinx Impact
: and Altera Quartus.

Any chance to see the design or maybe buy units?

--

Uwe Bonnes <bon@elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de> writes:

> Petter Gustad <newsmailcomp6@gustad.com> wrote: > : tony.p.lee@gmail.com (T Lee) writes: > > : > How about creating a ethernet to jtag cable replacement? > > : I've made my own Ethernet based programmer. Works on virtually any OS > : and does not require a device driver. Also works with Xilinx Impact > : and Altera Quartus. > > Any chance to see the design or maybe buy units?
Unfortunately not yet. I'm currently making this programmer and system into a product. I'm doing this on my spare time so I move slower than anticipated, but I'm interested in getting in touch with beta testers and other interested parties. My e-mail address can be found at http://www.gustad.com/pics/email.gif Petter -- A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? A: Top-posting. Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?