Starting with LVDS

Started by Frank Schreiber January 22, 2006
So,
in this case should I provide 8 bits for data, and 1 bits for clock ?
Any clock else ?
Frank
"Frank Schreiber" <frankschr@googlemail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> So, > in this case should I provide 8 bits for data, and 1 bits for clock ? > Any clock else ? > Frank >>
if you have a DAC chip with 8 bit DDR LVDS then you have 8 bit data in FPGA and 1 bit clock, and there will be 16 actual data wires(8 +- pairs)) from FPGA and 2 clock lines (1 +- pair) but you can not expect to get help if you dont say what is the thing that is connnected to FPGA, I assume its an high speed digital analog converter, but only you know it for sure, others can only guess -- Antti Lukats http://www.xilant.com
Frank,
From your IP address I guess you're a Physics student at university. I'd
suggest you go down the corridor to the EE department and ask someone there
who will be able to help you face to face. Even if they can't answer your
question, they could probably tell you what to post here to get an answer.
HTH and good luck, Syms.
"Frank Schreiber" <frankschr@googlemail.com> wrote in message
> Dear all > I'm starting with LVDS. > My task is sending 8-bits signal to LVDS Transmitter port on my board. > I declared a 8 bits vector, assigned pins, and changed values in 8-bits > signal, but nothing happended in my oscilloscope. Assume that pins-out are > right assigned, all wires and DAC are working perfectly. > Can anyone advise me, how to make it works. > Many thanks > Frank > >
Are you trying to implement the transmitter within the FPGA?

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 09:43:02 +0100, "Frank Schreiber" <frankschr@googlemail.com> wrote:
>Dear all, >I am using Virtex 4 from Xillinx, and I really missed the clock for LVDS. >So, should I transfer data to LVDS each time posedge of the clock. >The clock should be LVDS clock, LTTL clock or any clock is possible. >Many thanks >Frank
I don't understand you Frank! Multiple times others have explained to you that if you don't give sufficient information, it is IMPOSSIBLE to answer your questions. Give the following information, and maybe you can be helped: 1) Which exact Xilinx part number are you using. 2) What EXACT device (part number) are you connecting it to 3) How many wires total have you connected between these chips, (LVDS should be 2 wires per signal, 8 data + clock would total to 18 wires) 4) Bonus info would be the manufacturer of the board (or if it is your own design, some more details of the design and the purpose), the clock rate you are trying to use, whether the data is single or double data rate. Philip Freidin Fliptronics