Starting with LVDS

Started by Frank Schreiber January 22, 2006
Dear all
I'm starting with LVDS.
My task is sending 8-bits signal to LVDS Transmitter port on my board.
I declared a 8 bits vector, assigned pins, and changed values in 8-bits
signal, but nothing happended in my oscilloscope. Assume that pins-out are
right assigned, all wires and DAC are working perfectly.
Can anyone advise me, how to make it works.
Many thanks
Frank

Frank, be serious:
You do not tell us which FPGA family and which board. You don't report
that you have tried a different output standard. You mention little
about your design and environment.
How can you possibly expect any meaningful help?
It's like calling a doctor: "What should I do, it hurts!"
Peter Alfke

"Frank Schreiber" <frankschr@googlemail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Dear all > I'm starting with LVDS. > My task is sending 8-bits signal to LVDS Transmitter port on my board. > I declared a 8 bits vector, assigned pins, and changed values in 8-bits > signal, but nothing happended in my oscilloscope. Assume that pins-out are > right assigned, all wires and DAC are working perfectly. > Can anyone advise me, how to make it works. > Many thanks > Frank > >
Maxim, ADI and TI LVDS DACs all require LVDS clock to latch the data, unless you provide some meaningful data on the output and suitable clock do not expect anything. you said "assume" all wires and DAC are working, well assuming that all should work as long as you made some meaningful (as per DAC datasheet spec) singals on the LVDS data and clock outputs. Antti
Frank

Remember to check the scale on your oscilloscpe. The LVDS signal is very
small and easy to miss if setup for something like TTL levels. I've done
that before myself. If you are using Xilinx you can check if LVDS is
implemented from the pin file I think or do it my favorite way in by looking
at the design in FPGA editor.

John Adair
Enterpoint Ltd. - Home of Broaddown2. The Ultimate Spartan3 Development
Board.
http://www.enterpoint.co.uk

"Frank Schreiber" <frankschr@googlemail.com> wrote in message
> Dear all > I'm starting with LVDS. > My task is sending 8-bits signal to LVDS Transmitter port on my board. > I declared a 8 bits vector, assigned pins, and changed values in 8-bits > signal, but nothing happended in my oscilloscope. Assume that pins-out are > right assigned, all wires and DAC are working perfectly. > Can anyone advise me, how to make it works. > Many thanks > Frank > >
Hi John,

he is looking at DAC output not at LVDS signals. he said assume the wires
__and__ DAC are working properly, so hes oscilloscope is on the output of an
LVDS DAC

Antti

"John Adair" <removethisthenleavejea@replacewithcompanyname.co.uk> schrieb
im Newsbeitrag news:dr0oor$gck$1@newsg2.svr.pol.co.uk...
> Frank > > Remember to check the scale on your oscilloscpe. The LVDS signal is very > small and easy to miss if setup for something like TTL levels. I've done > that before myself. If you are using Xilinx you can check if LVDS is > implemented from the pin file I think or do it my favorite way in by > looking at the design in FPGA editor. > > John Adair > Enterpoint Ltd. - Home of Broaddown2. The Ultimate Spartan3 Development > Board. > http://www.enterpoint.co.uk > > "Frank Schreiber" <frankschr@googlemail.com> wrote in message > news:dr0fec$kvu$1@anderson.hrz.tu-chemnitz.de... >> Dear all >> I'm starting with LVDS. >> My task is sending 8-bits signal to LVDS Transmitter port on my board. >> I declared a 8 bits vector, assigned pins, and changed values in 8-bits >> signal, but nothing happended in my oscilloscope. Assume that pins-out >> are >> right assigned, all wires and DAC are working perfectly. >> Can anyone advise me, how to make it works. >> Many thanks >> Frank >> >> > >
Not entirely clear to me that he is looking at the DAC output from those
words. Didn't even say that the oscilloscpe was actually connected never
mind what to.

Frank give us all a bit more info. We might be assuming something or nothing
correctly. The old swing on the tree graphic is coming to mind.

John Adair
Enterpoint Ltd. - We're at DATE2006. Come and say hello.
http://www.enterpoint.co.uk

"Antti Lukats" <antti@openchip.org> wrote in message
> Hi John, > > he is looking at DAC output not at LVDS signals. he said assume the wires > __and__ DAC are working properly, so hes oscilloscope is on the output of > an LVDS DAC > > Antti > > "John Adair" <removethisthenleavejea@replacewithcompanyname.co.uk> schrieb > im Newsbeitrag news:dr0oor$gck$1@newsg2.svr.pol.co.uk... >> Frank >> >> Remember to check the scale on your oscilloscpe. The LVDS signal is very >> small and easy to miss if setup for something like TTL levels. I've done >> that before myself. If you are using Xilinx you can check if LVDS is >> implemented from the pin file I think or do it my favorite way in by >> looking at the design in FPGA editor. >> >> John Adair >> Enterpoint Ltd. - Home of Broaddown2. The Ultimate Spartan3 Development >> Board. >> http://www.enterpoint.co.uk >> >> "Frank Schreiber" <frankschr@googlemail.com> wrote in message >> news:dr0fec$kvu$1@anderson.hrz.tu-chemnitz.de... >>> Dear all >>> I'm starting with LVDS. >>> My task is sending 8-bits signal to LVDS Transmitter port on my board. >>> I declared a 8 bits vector, assigned pins, and changed values in 8-bits >>> signal, but nothing happended in my oscilloscope. Assume that pins-out >>> are >>> right assigned, all wires and DAC are working perfectly. >>> Can anyone advise me, how to make it works. >>> Many thanks >>> Frank >>> >>> >> >> > >
Dear all,
I am using Virtex 4 from Xillinx, and I really missed the clock for LVDS.
So, should I transfer data to LVDS each time posedge of the clock.
The clock should be LVDS clock, LTTL clock or any clock is possible.
Many thanks
Frank

> Maxim, ADI and TI LVDS DACs all require LVDS clock to latch the data,
unless
> you provide some meaningful data on the output and suitable clock do not > expect anything. > > you said "assume" all wires and DAC are working, well assuming that all > should work as long as you made some meaningful (as per DAC datasheet
spec)
> singals on the LVDS data and clock outputs. > > Antti > >
Hi Peter
It's nice that you mentioned. But truely that I don't know much, so I
provided a little bit informations.
But I think other informations are not so important: LVDS are standard, and
it does the same way in different boards. The most important thing that I
don't know is how it works. Antti said that it needs a clock....
Many thanks
Frank.
> Hi Peter > It's nice that you mentioned. But truely that I don't know much, so I > provided a little bit informations. > But I think other informations are not so important: LVDS are standard, > and > it does the same way in different boards. The most important thing that I > don't know is how it works. Antti said that it needs a clock.... > Many thanks
think of LVDS that you use 2 wires an not 1 for 1 signal for LVDS its irrelevant if the signal is clock or data or whatever what I said is that if you have DAC chip that uses LVDS standard then this DAC chip does need a LVDS clock to latch the data, but its only my guess, you really did not provide enough info. -- Antti Lukats http://www.xilant.com