What can I do if my chip can't meet timing?

Started by Student May 25, 2004
If the simulation says that you are within a few percent of desired
performance, then I am sure that it will run under "normal" condition.
Simulation parameters assume worst-case temperature (hot), voltage (low)
and processing (slow). It is very unlikely that all this comes together
in one particular board.
For production, you should absolutely always obey the simulation
results, but in the lab you can "cheat".
Peter Alfke

Peter Alfke wrote:
> If the simulation says that you are within a few percent of desired > performance, then I am sure that it will run under "normal" condition. > Simulation parameters assume worst-case temperature (hot), voltage (low) > and processing (slow). It is very unlikely that all this comes together > in one particular board. > For production, you should absolutely always obey the simulation > results, but in the lab you can "cheat".
You can also test for actual margin in the lab, by control of two of those corners (Temp,Voltage), and if you can vary the clock, you can get close to the third.
> Student wrote: >>Thanks. >> >>The frequency is fixed and RTL is documented to operate at 40MHz.
You might want to get a full copy of 'documented to operate at 40MHz' for details of the tool chains, and test interfaces, as well as timing results. -jg
When you say the design is set to run at 40 Mhz, does that mean 40 Mhz on
a specific xilinx fpga or on some generic fab process or what?

On Thu, 27 May 2004, Jim Granville wrote:

> Peter Alfke wrote: > > If the simulation says that you are within a few percent of desired > > performance, then I am sure that it will run under "normal" condition. > > Simulation parameters assume worst-case temperature (hot), voltage (low) > > and processing (slow). It is very unlikely that all this comes together > > in one particular board. > > For production, you should absolutely always obey the simulation > > results, but in the lab you can "cheat". > > You can also test for actual margin in the lab, by control of two of > those corners (Temp,Voltage), and if you can vary the clock, you can > get close to the third. > > > Student wrote: > >>Thanks. > >> > >>The frequency is fixed and RTL is documented to operate at 40MHz. > > You might want to get a full copy of 'documented to operate at 40MHz' > for details of the tool chains, and test interfaces, as well as timing > results. > -jg > >
The original author tested the RTL on a Virtex2...Now I am still
V2 but I need to split the chip into RX & TX and compile them in
partial reconfigurable mode...In full V2 chip compilation, it satisfied
timing at 24.5ns...in partial compilation, timing is 25~26ns...

I am aware partial reconfigurable compilation introduces long wire
delays...Since the interface signals between RX/TX are registered,
so I don't have effictive control over the offset delays...

TX/RX(with FFT) shares FFT & trigonormetric functions, which
contain critical paths...

Kelvin

"Matthew E Rosenthal" <mer2@andrew.cmu.edu> wrote in message
> When you say the design is set to run at 40 Mhz, does that mean 40 Mhz on > a specific xilinx fpga or on some generic fab process or what? > > On Thu, 27 May 2004, Jim Granville wrote: > > > Peter Alfke wrote: > > > If the simulation says that you are within a few percent of desired > > > performance, then I am sure that it will run under "normal" condition. > > > Simulation parameters assume worst-case temperature (hot), voltage
(low)
> > > and processing (slow). It is very unlikely that all this comes
together
> > > in one particular board. > > > For production, you should absolutely always obey the simulation > > > results, but in the lab you can "cheat". > > > > You can also test for actual margin in the lab, by control of two of > > those corners (Temp,Voltage), and if you can vary the clock, you can > > get close to the third. > > > > > Student wrote: > > >>Thanks. > > >> > > >>The frequency is fixed and RTL is documented to operate at 40MHz. > > > > You might want to get a full copy of 'documented to operate at 40MHz' > > for details of the tool chains, and test interfaces, as well as timing > > results. > > -jg > > > >
> You can also test for actual margin in the lab, by control of two of >those corners (Temp,Voltage), and if you can vary the clock, you can >get close to the third.
Only if you have an environment setup in your lab that generates test cases for all of paths through your design. It's generally easy to get most of them. But that doesn't mean your whole design will run at that frequency. -- The suespammers.org mail server is located in California. So are all my other mailboxes. Please do not send unsolicited bulk e-mail or unsolicited commercial e-mail to my suespammers.org address or any of my other addresses. These are my opinions, not necessarily my employer's. I hate spam.
General Schvantzkoph <schvantzkoph@yahoo.com> writes:

> Synplify usually does a 10% better job then any other synthesis tool
Synplify is an excellent synthesis tool, but have you benchmarked against all available synthesis tools, including DC-FPGA? It's been I while since I used Synplify, but it appears that some users are less than happy with the later developments of the product: http://www.deepchip.com/items/0427-01.html Other users (including myself) are very excited about DC-FPGA: http://www.deepchip.com/items/0427-02.html Petter // Synopsys DC-FPGA user -- A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? A: Top-posting. Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?

Kelvin wrote:

>The original author tested the RTL on a Virtex2...Now I am still >V2 but I need to split the chip into RX & TX and compile them in >partial reconfigurable mode...In full V2 chip compilation, it satisfied >timing at 24.5ns...in partial compilation, timing is 25~26ns... > >I am aware partial reconfigurable compilation introduces long wire >delays...Since the interface signals between RX/TX are registered, >so I don't have effictive control over the offset delays... > >TX/RX(with FFT) shares FFT & trigonormetric functions, which >contain critical paths... > > >
I think this is the key, here. If you have the space, you may need to duplicate these shared functions, giving place/route the freedom to put these resources close to where they are needed, rather than having one or the other sections (RX or TX) having to reach all the way across the chip to get to them. If you don't have the space to duplicate these functions, then you have a big problem. If there's a faster speed grade of the chip, that might help. Jon
unfortunately I have no space to duplicate the shared modules that is why I
am a little
worried now.

I think I still have a few variables to play with, for example the
Synplicity, floorplanning,
yeah thanks, speed grade etc.

Best Regards,
Kelvin