*RANT* Ridiculous EDA software "user license agreements"?

Started by license_rant_master July 1, 2004
license_rant_master <none@nowhere.net> wrote in message
> /RANT ON > > 1) Modelsim/PE "Personal Edition" -- *exact* same license agreement > as their premiere Modelsim/SE.
[...]
> At a minimum, > someone needs to challenge their ridiculous license agreement > for products aimed at 'personal' use.
(Disclaimer: IANAL) Site wide licenses definitely are licenses and the two companies involved can agree basically on any ridiculous licensee term that they can up with, but this might not be the case for a personal edition. For example if you can manage to buy modelsim PE in a shop or order it online without clicking through the license agreement than you just made a regular purchase and there is no license agreement involved. Even if you click through the license agreement it is very doubtfull that it is valid. Basically a purchase is a purchase not matter what you call it and the first sale doctrine applies, which means that the rightholder can not control the use of an item after the first sale. This means that you can move your software around (both from place to place on the same computer, but also from computer to computer) Also, your company can sell the software to you and you sell it back later. There is no way the tool vendor can interfere with that. (for purchased, not rented software) Once you have license files for both computers you can change ownership easily as often as you want. But remember to deinstall the software each time. Kolja Sulimma
Actually.. I believe they charge you a license fee if you move sites.. for
their time and effort of course

"Simon Peacock" <nowhere@to.be.found> wrote in message news:<40e60e27@news.actrix.gen.nz>...
> Actually.. I believe they charge you a license fee if you move sites.. for > their time and effort of course
They even charge if you move from one license server to another when they are in the same location. Rehosting they call it, and it cost money even if you have maintenance contract. Milage may of cource vary. It is amazing that noone from the vendors have even tried to make their policies clear. There are enough of them listening on these channels. Working off-site is very easy with the flexlm license system since you only need to transfer the licensing info. Most programs check out license when they start, and then keep it, which is very convenient on a low bandwidth line like a DSL or modem line. Working off-site could save a lot of jobs since you don't need to move where the engineers are, have the engineers telecommute to you. Just my opinion on the topic. -- Svenn
I'm very happy w/ Verilogger.  I've tried a lot of other stuff.
ModelSim sucks dongle.  Too many menus and submenus
and too many things you just have to know about it.  And
even then it won't give meaningful debug messages at times.
And since you're an ASIC engineer, you won't have to do
any searching for the free license file, so you can keep
those trojans and adwares off your system.  It has all the
bugs worked out, and has all the features you need, and
none of the ones you don't.

BB

> [...]
mx <mx@mx.com> wrote
> (c) If the customer is acquired (purchased) by another company, the > EDA-software is non-transferrable. Thankfully within industry, the > standard practice is for the vendor to permit the ownership transfer, as > long as the new owner continues to pay the maintenance/support contract > obligations.
Synopsys didn't allow us to transfer the license, while our company was aquired, until we made clear, that this would be a good point to get rid of all Synopsys software in our company. And in fact it was an important point for the next software purchase that we prefer any other company when two tools seem technically equivalent. bye Thomas
news@sulimma.de (Kolja Sulimma) wrote:
> license_rant_master <none@nowhere.net> wrote in message > > /RANT ON > > > > 1) Modelsim/PE "Personal Edition" -- *exact* same license agreement > > as their premiere Modelsim/SE. > [...] > > At a minimum, > > someone needs to challenge their ridiculous license agreement > > for products aimed at 'personal' use. > > (Disclaimer: IANAL) > Site wide licenses definitely are licenses and the two companies > involved can agree basically on any ridiculous licensee term that they > can up with, but this might not be the case for a personal edition. > > For example if you can manage to buy modelsim PE in a shop or order it > online without clicking through the license agreement than you just > made a regular purchase and there is no license agreement involved. > Even if you click through the license agreement it is very doubtfull > that it is valid. Basically a purchase is a purchase not matter what > you call it and the first sale doctrine applies, which means that the > rightholder can not control the use of an item after the first sale.
Be careful. License law is a very hard field, especially if different countries are involved. If you download your software, there might be the law of two countries involved, which complicates everything. In Germany your are right that you could ignore any license agreement, when purchasing a standard programm (enter the shop and buy a CD). But you have to deal with the license agreement, when purchasing a license (or get it free) by downloading a software. These are two different things, which seem very similar. bye Thomas
> In Germany your are right that you could ignore any license agreement, > when purchasing a standard programm (enter the shop and buy a CD). But > you have to deal with the license agreement, when purchasing a license > (or get it free) by downloading a software. > > These are two different things, which seem very similar.
Probably not. By downloading you are receiving a single copy of the software. The process of copying was initialized by the seller. Only the ownership of that copy is transfered, there is no license for copying necessary, the transaction can be handled as a purchase. Also, the buyer probably believes this is a purchase anyway, so that a license contract is likely to be void. One could argue that the process of copying is performed by the person doing the download, but that view has MAJOR implication on copyright law. Basically it makes P2P downloads legal in many countries. So don't expect that view to be successful. Again, IANAL, Kolja Sulimma
news@sulimma.de (Kolja Sulimma) wrote:
> > These are two different things, which seem very similar. > > Probably not. By downloading you are receiving a single copy of the > software. The process of copying was initialized by the seller. Only > the ownership of that copy is transfered, there is no license for > copying necessary, the transaction can be handled as a purchase. > Also, the buyer probably believes this is a purchase anyway, so that a > license contract is likely to be void.
IANAL, too. German law is not logical in any ways (as most other laws I asume). Maybe you should google in de.soc.recht.* In short you can't get ownership on software in Germany, but you can get ownership on a CD containing software. For using a software you need the right to use it (Nutzungrecht), often called license. In Germany you get this license either by getting owner of a CD containing the software, or by a license agreement. bye Thomas
mx wrote:

> Rene Tschaggelar wrote: > >> The whole is solved by a notebook being the work machine at >> the expense of reduced performance. > > > UMMM *NO* the original-poster mentioned somewhere in his rant that > the license terms of Mentor, Cadence, and Synopsys > are *tied* to a physical site. Actually the software license is bound > to 3 specific items: > > a) authorized hardware (license node/server) > <AND> > b) physical site (company location, with defined 'distance radius') > <AND> > c) the party/persons/company named on the purchase-order > > That's *AND* (not OR.) Change any 1 of the above, and you have to > contact the vendor to renew/re-validate your license. (This doesn't > automatically mean you have to *repurchase* the software...) > > (b) Buying a laptop, taking it on the road, and using it to run the > EDA sofware falls under 'running the software outside of the > physical site.' All you've done with your laptop, is place > both the license-server and execution-machine in the same > machine (your laptop), instead of just taking the execution-machine > > The physical-site limitation is so restrictive, that technically > speaking, if a customer merely relocates its office more than a > few miles, their software-liense is invalidated. Obvioualy, > no EDA-vendor requires the customer to repurchase the software. They > merely update the license contract with the customer's new (street) > address.
The physical location restriction is completely ridiculus. Upon further thinking about its implications, one could figure that the software is almost infinitely crappy. The implications are such that the user of such a software cannot show it on an exhibition. All the other limitations are dream world stuff. It cannot be legally proven that the software was used at home beside the pool even when it is run by the correct user on the correct machine. Nor can be legally proven that it was shown to a colleage at whatever location. IMO, a very obvious way to try to keep the software off the public eyes. I happend to work once with such kind of software, 40k$ per seat, plus something per year, and the user interface was such awkward and clumsy, that I wished the developpers being beaten up for every minute I had to work with. If such feelings spread too quickly and too openly, the business would be on the downslope rather quick. Since such software is usually purchased by people who will never work with it, the employee on this software has to be eternally gratefull to be able to work with this software and deliver the expected results. IMO, such restrictions are an indication for crap to be stayed away from. Rene

It's easy enough to set up the server (either look at the commercial version from www.nomachine.com, or google for "freenx" or "nxserver") on linux, and clients are even easier (download free from nomachine). It is said to be usable over a modem connection - I have certainly found it works well over ADSL for most work. It's definitely faster than tightVnc (which is also okay for many things - and works well for pretending you are sitting at your office windows desktop).