Virtex-4FX and ethernet mac

Started by Marco T. December 23, 2005
Hallo,
I'm planning to buy a development board based on Virtex-4FX.

I have read about V-4FX that ethernet mac is inside the FPGA.

I should buy also the license to use it when I make a project into EDK for
plb interface?

Many Thanks
Marco

You don't need a special license to use the embedded Virtex4 TriMode
Ethernet MAC.

Check out Gigabit System Reference Design (GSRD) such an EDK project:
http://www.xilinx.com/gsrd/

Paul

"Marco T." wrote:
> > Hallo, > I'm planning to buy a development board based on Virtex-4FX. > > I have read about V-4FX that ethernet mac is inside the FPGA. > > I should buy also the license to use it when I make a project into EDK for > plb interface? > > Many Thanks > Marco
No,
Ethernet MAC is hard core and it's free.

"Marco T." <marcotoschi@nospam.it> wrote in message
> Hallo, > I'm planning to buy a development board based on Virtex-4FX. > > I have read about V-4FX that ethernet mac is inside the FPGA. > > I should buy also the license to use it when I make a project into EDK for > plb interface? > > Many Thanks > Marco > >
Many Thanks to everyone for the replies. Marco
leevv wrote:
> No, > Ethernet MAC is hard core and it's free.
But, be careful though, there isn't any s/w support for it in EDK yet. Cheers, Jon
"Jon Beniston" <jon@beniston.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > leevv wrote: >> No, >> Ethernet MAC is hard core and it's free. > > But, be careful though, there isn't any s/w support for it in EDK yet. > > Cheers, > Jon >
Thanks Jon, I was sure EDK supports the hardcore EMAC - but afer looking closer it seems that there is no support in edk7.1 :( any info if it is included in EDK 8.1 ? or is it coming in some EDK 8.1 service pack (like DDR2 support) ? Antti