Xilinx ParallelCable IV vs. Linux

Started by Stephen Williams June 11, 2004
Stephen Williams wrote:

> Neil Glenn Jacobson wrote: > >>>> Stephen Williams wrote: > > >>> Even if this is iMPACT bundled with ISE *6.1i*? I was under the >>> impression (based on APP notes and the like) that under Linux, >>> iMPACT starts supporing the PCIV cable at ISE 6.2. Certainly, when >>> I start impact, the radio button for Parallel Cable IV is grayed >>> out. Are you saying that when the cable arrives, I'll be able to >>> plug it in, install the Linux driver, and un-gray the selection? >> >> >> >> You know sometimes I wonder just how awake I am... >> Yes, Linux usage of the parallel cable was first supported in 6.2i >> thus all statements about Xilinx application support refer to release >> 6.2i and later. >> This means that if you are unable to upgrade to 6.2i or later and need >> to use the parallel cable and Linux then you are stuck. >> The (slower) MultiLINX cable is your only download option on Linux >> previous to 6.2i > > > I use ISE Foundation in support of my Icarus Verilog work. I use > it to make sure Icarus Verilog simulations can support the various > libraries shipped with Xilinx products, and I also use the back end > tools to help me validate the FPGA code generator. (I generate EDIF > files that I feed to map/par and FPGAEdit.) > > I have various Xilinx based boards that are a product of day-job, > and also a few other demo boards that people are likely to use while > playing with Icarus Verilog. (A Digilent board, a Wallace JTAG board, > an in-house PPC based board, another in-house board w/ Virtex and ACE...) > > Since this is a open source (read: GPL, free) project, I can't really > afford the $2000+ of ISE. In fact, my current ISE 6.1i is a generous > contribution from your employer. > > So yes, I'm stuck. But it's not holding me up. > >
Ooops. I forgot. Xilinx does not release a LInux version of WebPACK. Nix that previous message.
Neil Glenn Jacobson wrote:
> Stephen Williams wrote: > >> Neil Glenn Jacobson wrote:
>> > Ooops. I forgot. Xilinx does not release a LInux version of WebPACK. > Nix that previous message.
But could the windows version using wine be used here? Can the linuxdrivers be used of are they only for the native Linux version of ISE? I recently bought a Spartan-3 board from NuHorizons in the hope to use it using WebPACK under wine on Linux. Regards, Sietse Achterop Computing Science department University of Groningen The Netherlands
In article <car9vf$tp5$1@nobel.pacific.net.sg>,
Rudolf Usselmann  <russelmann@hotmail.com> wrote:
>Stephen Williams wrote: > >> >> Does anybody know if the Xilinx Paralel cable IV cable can >> be made to work under Linux w/ ISE 6.1i.03? And to make it >> even more interesting, my Linux is AMD64, will the driver work >> at all on this system? >> >> >> .... and while we're on the subject, the Linux driver source is >> itself is pretty basic. Is there programming informatino for the >> cable that one can use to write custom software to drive the >> device. > > >Stephen, > >not sure if this will help: > >I have faced the same problem - not being able to program >Xilinx Devices using Xilinx Software and Xilinx hardware >under linux. So I wrote a small dumb program that can take >a bit stream and directly upload it to an FPGA. > >You can find it here: http://www.asics.ws/tools/ljp.c.gz > >This works with both Parallel Cable 3 and 4. >
Has anyone tried this program with the $99 Xilinx eval board? Phil
Phil Tomson wrote:
>>You can find it here: http://www.asics.ws/tools/ljp.c.gz >> >>This works with both Parallel Cable 3 and 4.
> Has anyone tried this program with the $99 Xilinx eval board? >
Hello, I am trying it on the Spartan-3 board of NuHorizon. This board has, next to the spartan-3chip, a configuration device in the Jtag-chain so you have to put that one in BYPASS mode, with an 8-bit command. The ljp.c program doesn't work, firstly because it is for Virtex that have 5 bit jtag-commands, while the spartan-3 has 6 bit commands, as described in the BSDL-file. But alas after changing this, the ID-codes can be read properly, and bypass does also work. But programming doesnt:(. Both chip's are revision 0 by the way. The spartan-3 datasheet (part 3: page 38, figure 24) describes some details of how to program it. But that doesnt help me any further. As an aside, I make the bitfile with the option "-g StartUpClk:JtagClk" as is mentioned by the Impact program and in the documentation. The question is, does the spartan-3 specify the programming in it's datasheet, or is there some vital part of the specifation missing from the datasheet. The ljp program follows this, and I tried a lot of variants, also looking in xapp139.pdf about virtex programming. If the datasheet is telling the full story it should be fairly trivial to make it work, so I am afraid I'm missing something, but what? cheers, Sietse Achterop PS. I also tried my luck with the "mitoujtag" program, but I can't get the giveio.sys to function under wine. Does anyone know how to do this?